The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

I took this photo in the summer of 2021 during sunset.
Summer Fun!
May 16, 2024

The Ups and Downs of Cav Academy

Freshmen may not know about Cav Academy, but sophomores, juniors, and seniors know about it. Cav Academy was a study period that helped students do their homework, retake tests in classes, and ask for help. Some students took advantage of Cav Academy, but others didn’t. Was Cav Academy an accommodation or a distraction? 

Cav Academy was dismantled because we didn’t receive the number of votes that were needed to keep the academy. Since the Cav academy had been removed from schedules, the second-period classes have been a bit longer now. 

Many students had taken advantage of Cav Academy and worked on their tasks, students felt as if Cav Academy really helped them. Students such as Diana, felt that Cav Academy “really gave people the chance to talk to their teachers.” If students missed out on an assignment, it could be made up during the Cav academy period.” 

Some teachers also felt that Cav Academy shouldn’t have been removed because many students benefited from the academy. “The period was more helpful towards students and they really benefited from the academy as opposed to not having it at all,” one educator stated. 

Many students involved in sports benefited from the academy, they would practice from their 6th period Cav academy to 7th period. This time frame helped student-athletes come out of practice earlier. Some athletes also took advantage of the Cav academy period by going to their teacher for an assignment they needed help with. Athletes such as Emma, stated, “It really gave me an opportunity to catch up on work or tests I needed to make up.” 

The teachers appreciated the academy because students would show up during their contracted hours and not go over the time to stay after school. However, some students didn’t take advantage of the academy, they would skip their Cav academy period to wander around campus and socialize with other students. A student stated, “I was mainly on my phone during that period.”

Cavaliers, what did you think about the Cav Academy? Was it beneficial or a distraction to you? Teachers, how did you feel towards the Cav Academy? Do you feel that bringing back Cav Academy be a good idea?  Let me know how you feel about it in the comments!