The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

Description English: A plane coming in low to land at Murcia San Javier airport in Spain.
Is Flying Safe?
May 21, 2024

Is Flying Safe?

xlibber

A more recent Alaskan Airlines flight experienced a dramatic incident when a door detached mid-flight. Fortunately, no passengers were seated in row 26, where a plugged emergency door flew off. Passengers nearby recounted their shock, with recalling how “the kid, I saw a half of his body was sucked out of the airplane too and his clothing and everything else and I was like, ‘Oh, my God!’“ This ordeal prompted The Federal Aircraft Association (FAA) into investigating the plane manufacturer (Boeing) and their 737-9 MAX plane in an Investigation

Although the drama stirred up, flying has a exceptional track record of safety. The FAA states that an accident is characterized by a situation that causes death, injury, or heavy aircraft damage. Some data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) confirms that 2023 held the record of lowest risk recorded, with only one accident per 1.26 million flights out of 37 million total aircraft movements (Takeoffs, Landings).

A local student here at MHS expressed some mixed feelings. They shared that “I’ve never flown before and It’s intimidating, but I can see how the benefit of being able to see more of the world outweighs being scared.” I agree, and others should too.

And so while incidents continue to capture news headlines, air travel continues to uphold an outstanding safety record. The brain power of human innovation in aviation help keep it as a reliable mode of transportation. Should you ever have doubts, I encourage anyone to take a discovery flight at a local airfield, if you’re apprehensive they are a great way to take it slow and get a bit of experience before heading out on a huge passenger plane.