The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

Description English: A plane coming in low to land at Murcia San Javier airport in Spain.
Is Flying Safe?
May 21, 2024

Daylights Saving Time

Daylight savings time became a thing in order to conserve energy resources. Daylight savings time is the practice of advancing clocks to make better use of the longer daylight available during summer so that darkness falls at a later clock time.  Daylight saving became a common thing during the Second World War. It was standardized in the United States by federal law in the year of 1966.  It was enacted as a legal requirement by the Uniform Time Act of 1966. Then it was widely adopted in Europe from the 1970s due to the 1970s energy crisis. Since then, the world has gone through several adjustments, enactments, and as well as appeals of this. Daylight savings time is used in places like Europe, the U.S., Canada, Latin America, and as well as the Caribbean. Egypt is also the only African nation that participates in daylight saving time. There are scientists who believe that daylight saving time affects many people and those effects last around 2 weeks per person. The huge problem around this is the loss of people’s sleep.  This could lead to metabolic turmoil, weight gain, mood instability, irritability, and increased risks of accidents while driving or working. Others believe that daylight savings time is good for society. The reason for this is because of driving. Longer daylight hours result in making driving safer for the people due to the fact that with there being more light it can result in a lower chance of car accidents happening. Daylight savings time is good for the economy and also promotes active lifestyles for people. Daylight savings can lead to a negative impact on a person’s memory, performance, and concentration skills.