The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

I took this photo in the summer of 2021 during sunset.
Summer Fun!
May 16, 2024

Getting To Know Mrs. Luna & The Library

There are many places to relax, hangout, and study at Montclair High School, but the library is one of the few where you can do all three. Mrs. Luna is the librarian, a former English teacher, in charge of ordering all the books, and the textbook/chrome book coordinator at Montclair High School’s library. She welcomed me to interview her and get to know her and the library better. It was such a surprise to know that you have many other things to do than read in the library.

She was an English teacher librarian at Chaffey High School for 10 years and Montclair’s librarian for another 10. Mrs. Luna graduated with a degree for creative writing from UC Santa Cruz University. Her dream job was to become a writer, to write poetry and books. Unfortunately, she never got the chance to publish any, but I can see she’s happy where she’s at. She teaches about literacy, plants, & even programming as a teacher!

Library Website: www.mohighlibrary.com

E-mail: [email protected]

Phone: (909) 621-6781

Looking around the inside of the big building, it was a beautiful place with fitting furniture and the colors were so well matched, so put together. There were so many stations and studios where you could do all kinds of things. A cool place to stay in the hot weather with loads of activities to do! “I want students to have access to lots of amazing books instead of being limited,” she said.

When you first walk in, you’ll see a load of things including the tables and chairs, and the comfortable couches where you can relax or just talk to your friends!

Something you might miss when you walk in is on your left, a chess board and an activity you can do, the community poster. You just have to match the stickers to the poster with the key sheet to make a beautiful picture.

There are shelves and shelves of books, the genres range from romance, fantasy to sports and psychology. Mrs. Luna is working on updating the books to student’s interests. The most popular at the moment is true crime and manga.

The maker studio, where you can craft, print, color, etc called the “STEAM” which stands for Science Technology Engineering Arts and Math. Right next to it is the serenity center where you’re free to charge your devices and cool down.

Not only does Mrs. Luna teach about plants, but she has a garden of her own in the back right next to her office. It’s an indoor hydroponic garden from the district that holds 4 gallons of water!

If you just want a quiet place to study, this is made especially for you. There’s magazines to the right and computers right next to it if needed. “Students need a quiet place to study, and I made this place especially for that,” she said.

Lastly, they do training here for students and help around at the library to prepare you and to have experience working at book/music stores before and after school.

“There are many different types of librarians, TA’s, museums, public, and so much more! If you’re interested in being a librarian or books, I recommend doing volunteer hours. We train students here after school to work with books for jobs like Barnes & Noble!”

With all these opportunities presenting themselves to you, make sure to stop by the library soon!