The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

I took this photo in the summer of 2021 during sunset.
Summer Fun!
May 16, 2024

Tips for Taking Sky Photos

Zoomed daytime photo of the moon

Many people enjoy taking pictures of a beautiful day or night sky. There are a variety of ways to improve your sky photos. Here are some tips.

1. Turn on live

When taking a sky photo make sure to have live on if possible. Having live on will give you the option to look back and pick out your favorite scene. The photo may come out blurry. Especially if you are in a hurry. In case of this, live will allow you to look back and decide on the best scene.

2. Record and zoom

Another suggestion is to hit record. Then zoom into the moon or part of the sky you’d like to capture. Finally, take photos as your zoomed in. When doing this method, I’d recommend lowering the exposure. This isn’t the most effective method for some people but for others it may help to improve the quality of your photos.

3. Mess with exposure

When taking a sky photo, mess with the exposure to improve your photo. Messing with the exposure can allow the moon to stand out more. Especially in photos where the sun hasn’t set yet. Dimming the light of the sky can allow you to brighten the light of the moon. To do this, drag down the sun dial to find your perfect lighting for the scene.

4. Take different angled shots

While taking photos of the moon consider the different shots and angles. For example, one photo can capture the moon in the middle while another the top left corner. Also one shot could include the surroundings, such as ground and trees in the photo, while another can be sky-based.

If your photo doesn’t come out the way you’d like, remember to try again. Any angle of the sky is beautiful however sometimes the cameras won’t capture it immediately.