The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

I took this photo in the summer of 2021 during sunset.
Summer Fun!
May 16, 2024

Thanksgiving History

Who was the first tribe to meet with the pilgrims
Thanksgiving+History

Who was the first tribe to be at Thanksgiving?

Ever wonder what was the name of the tribe that had the first Thanksgiving? Here we are gonna talk about the Wampanoag Tribesman also known as the people of the first light. The first ever people to have a thanksgiving with the Pilgrims. 90 people from the Wampanoag Tribesman attended the “first Thanksgiving” and 50 people from the pilgrims also attended the “First Thanksgiving”.

Many ask where did the Wampanoag tribe originate from and when did it first form?

The Wampanoag started in a town named Aquinnah through out the Island of Noepe. Aquinnah is located at the Western end of Martha’s Vineyard Island in Massachusetts. From 1870 to 1997. They have lived there for more than 12,000 years.

Who were the leaders of the Wampanoag tribe?

A man named Massasoit Ousemequin was the first Wampanoag tribe leader, Leading from 1638-1661. His son Wamsutta then took over but only for one year, from 1661-1662. Then a man named Metacom led from 1662-1676. 

Who was the leader who met with the Pilgrims?

Massasoit was the first to meet with the Pilgrims in March 1621. He invited the pilgrims to come eat with the tribe, even welcoming them with ground nuts.