The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

I took this photo in the summer of 2021 during sunset.
Summer Fun!
May 16, 2024

Should Students Have Homework?

Should students have homework? “No. The homework is killing us all,”answered Natalie Gonzalez.

Homework provides students with extra practice and review, but too much can have a negative effect on students stress levels as well as take away time for extracurricular activities. After around 7 hours of school and clubs, is homework really what students need? “We do enough work in class,”commented Sofia Espinoza.

While homework can have a negative impact, it can also get students ready for future work. “I would say the higher level students, like honors and AP, should have homework to prepare them for higher level thinking,” explained Ms.Kanter. “General college prep, no, because it often distracts them from other things and work.” However, holding certain students up to a higher degree often causes burnout. Instead of busy work, every student should have a task that allows them to explore their thinking, rather than drain their energy. Homework cannot solve every issue.

Students should not not have homework because homework is trash.

— Jessie Cruz

I feel like as long as the teacher is actually teaching the students and the students are engaging, there shouldn’t be a need for homework. If the teacher wants to see how their students are understanding them, they could simply do a test.

— Jesus Rivas