The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

I took this photo in the summer of 2021 during sunset.
Summer Fun!
May 16, 2024

Click To Submit

The senior cavs had recently just went their way to submit their college applications.

All Montclair Cavs have worked super hard these last couple school years, but let’s give a big shout out to the seniors who have been through the last 4 crazy years of high school. Now these students are parting ways and starting their lives as adults. We are all very proud of the seniors who want to go to college and even the ones that don’t and instead want to do something else because they are ready for any upcoming challenges.

This is Joseph and Lopita. They are both seniors and I interviewed them on how their life is now being a senior here at Montclair High School. Joseph is planning on going to UC Davis and Lopita is planning on going to the University of Redlands. Lopita talked about how hard it is to adjust to being a senior but it’s not as weird as she thought it would be. Academically she said she is ready but with friends she is not ready to leave them yet. Joseph said that he is ready as well but he is attached and is not quite ready to move from High School yet. Lopita is getting involved with school events but she also is also not trying to put too much stress on herself and Joseph feels the same.  

These are the senior counselors here at Montclair High whom I have interviewed about the seniors and this is what they had to say.

The first counselor I interviewed was Mr. Reynoso. Mr. Reynoso said “seeing the seniors grow up from being a freshman to now a senior is bittersweet.” He feels they are like his babies and he wants to make sure their college applications are done and ready. As well as making sure they don’t have any issues with their applications. He said that he will miss the seniors because he loves every single one of his students and he feels he has a close connection with them. He loves being a counselor because of his students and without them his job wouldn’t be what it is. He is so proud of his students and feels that this class is ready to go to college. All seniors have worked so hard to get to this point in their lives, but he also knows that not all students want to go to college. That there are some students that want to be mechanics, engineers, or electricians. He said that with him and all of the counselor’s it’s not about going to college it’s about what the students want their future to be and whatever they want, the counselor will support them. Mr. Reynoso and all the other staff have helped the senior students get to this point and are proud for how hard they have worked.

The next counselor I interviewed was Mrs. Ousley. Mrs. Ousley discussed how crazy it is seeing these seniors grow up from middle school to going to high school online for 18 months. Not having a normal high school experience. She will miss these students because she has grown a relationship with them after being together for 4 years. Seniors who have poured their sweat and tears into these last 4 years. She discussed that many of these kids are college ready even the kids that don’t want to go to college. She knows that they are ready for the real world. She claimed that these students make her a better counselor everyday and she learns everyday from them. What enables Mrs. Ousley to want to help students, are the kids that don’t have any support and guidance at home, that she can then help with.