The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

Clarion Podcast @MoHI
April 24, 2024
Girls JV soccer players Morgan and Angela
Girls JV Soccer
April 3, 2024

Trash on Campus

Have you ever dropped your trash and thought “the janitor will pick it up for me” Well he will, that’s his job, But have you ever thought about how much trash is left after lunch. There are many trash cans scattered around campus but people decide to still litter. Here are some reasons you should consider taking a few extra steps to get your trash thrown away.

In the real world, out in public, Some littering can get you fined. In California, Littering can get you fined $100 plus 8 hours of community service.  This is why you should get in the habit of throwing your trash away instead of throwing it on the ground. If trash is intentionally or accidentally littered on the ground, Rain or wind can carry it to nearby waterways, leading to pollution. We all know trash causes pollution. 60% of water pollution is because of litter. We should consider at least picking up our trash. 

Another reason is because our janitors work very hard, Especially at lunch. Janitors only make about $15.33 an hour. This doesn’t mean you should dump your trash wherever you want because someone will pick it up for you.

We need a cleaner environment. You can help so much by simply throwing away your trash instead of littering. Its always a good idea to clean up after yourself. If we all contribute by doing this simple thing, we can make a cleaner environment and reduce pollution rates.