The Clarion

The Student News Site of Montclair High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

I took this photo in the summer of 2021 during sunset.
Summer Fun!
May 16, 2024

Steering Your Life Right

Picture life as a road trip. You’ve got your license, a car, and your Google/apple maps out before you. But let’s be real, roads aren’t always straight and sometimes, you’ll need someone to help guide you. This is where books come in handy, especially ones like “Show Your Work!” by Austin Kleon. It’s like having a map app when you’re driving to new places and exploring.

When you learn, it’s like putting miles in. With each new topic or skill learned, you’re driving a little further. “Show Your Work!” is about not keeping those travels to yourself, but sharing the route you followed, the cool spots, the dead ends, and the quick shortcuts with everyone. 

Kleon shows that making a way to share your journey can be fun. He writes as a friend who makes you laugh with stories about their own trips and adventures, while also pointing out the best places to visit and which to avoid. He’s telling you that sharing the behind-the-scenes of your work is cool and helpful to others in their own journey. 

If you’re aiming to go as far as you can in life, “Show Your Work!” is  your road map to getting noticed. For students, it’s more about getting the guts to let people see your work, even if it’s not perfect. It says that just being seen and recognized is all that matters. 

Life’s all about trying, messing up, and then trying better. It’s just like writing drafts for a class paper. Didn’t get it right? Try again. The book teaches that this is how you get better, not just in writing, but in everything. No matter the age, there is always time to try.

Wisdom Books can be a beacon when things start to get foggy. They don’t just show you where to go, they guide you through the journey. It’s not just about where you’ll end up but enjoying the ride there, even when it gets bumpy.